Thursday, November 30, 2006

Why I Don't Score Well on the GRE

The evil of class and race hatred must be eliminated while it is still in an _________ state; otherwise it may grow to dangerous proportions.
(A) amorphous
(B) overt
(C) uncultivated
(D) embryonic
(E) independent

The answer is (D). But this sort of question trips me up because I read it, realize that they want me to select (D), but I'm sitting there in disbelief that they're considering class and race hatred in an "embryonic" state. Last I checked, race and class hatred had quite the history behind it. In fact, I'd say these issues are pistol-whipping, middle-aged adults who found the fountain of youth. Ask a resident in Mott Haven, NYC, and I might guess that "dangerous proportions" sounds like a nice day compared to the apocalyptic nature of her street.

Then once I get past that, I marvel at their choice of metaphor: an abortion. It's an interesting choice. I'm not offended by it, but I get back to the history of race and class issues and this is not an "embryonic" abortion. This is a third term, baby about to pop out abortion. These issues aren't recent occurrences!

You can imagine how much time I lose on instances like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment