Monday, September 25, 2006

Foie La La

Pardon the absence. I'm trying to figure out how to balance the employed life with the blog life. Enter: the liver. Somehow a temporary employment pool has led me to a liver transplant center in San Diego which has been fascinating and exhausting all at once. I like to term my temporary position there as Junior Nurse since I've been meeting patients at their appointments, attending pathology meetings, selection committee meetings (where they choose who does and doesn't get a new liver), filled out lab orders and refill requests, and monitored Creatinine levels. Seemingly everything but taking an organ out and putting a new one in. And all I said to the HR person was, sure, I have a personal interest in the medical field. I thought I'd be answering phones.

I'm hoping that my next assignment will be with the Scripps Oceanography Institute and that I'll, I don't know, have to put on a wet suit and take a helicopter out to a remote part of the ocean to collect some data on an experiment they have going on out there. Or that the student activities office will need me to call Radiohead up and schedule them for a date on campus, show them around San Diego, and expense a dinner with them.

Who knows? Maybe the temporary employment career is the way to go.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:33 PM

    Pretty sweet gig. Do the patients get to keep the old liver?

    ReplyDelete