Sunday, January 11, 2009

2008 Recap

So I didn't do much in the way of blogging this past year and really that just means it was a good year.

Two major changes occurred that I suppose are safe to divulge at this point, and if you follow my tweets, you may already know that:
  • After 4 very long years, I'm finally and officially employed.
  • We got a cat.
Side note: I've grown to love twitter more than blogs...turns out I only really need 140 characters to say what I want to say and people only have that attention span anyway.

I've been working on and off for UCSD over the past 2 years as a temp who floats around different departments, and while I appreciated the work, let's just say that some days I was scolded for using different colors of paperclips. I wish I was kidding.

Just when I gave up on finding writing/editing jobs (i.e., what I went to school for), I got a call to temp as a senior editor. Long story short, after 5 months of temping, 4 months of interviews, somehow winning "Temp of the Month" (possibly the most hilarious award I've ever received), and narrowly missing the hiring freeze, I finally got the job in August. And I love it.

I've been reluctant to say anything because I'm in a probationary period until February, and while I'm not worried about my performance, like everyone else I've just kept an eye on this weird economic time we're in...last one in is the first one out kind of thing. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself now, even. Anyway, I basically edit content for the university's Web site, which could also be the reason for the decline of the blog posts. I get plenty of HTML in my day and while the content I edit is rife with humor opportunities, I'd rather, again, keep my job. The best part is I work with some of the smartest, funniest people I've ever known. In other words, for having been painfully unemployed and downright lost for the past 4 years, I feel like my karma finally came back.

Another side note: I feel like everything I ever did on this blog or learned from creating this blog--be it html, photography, graphics, photoshop, Web research, etc.--directly fed into my ability to get this job. Who would have thought?

In other karma news, we got a cat. This is a huge deal and has been a long time coming. Long story short is that Ryan is allergic to cats, more than a year ago we started him on shots, as time went on we visited the humane society often to monitor his reaction in a room full of cats (he seemed good), and then when some lab cats became available at UCSD, to my surprise he suggested we take one home. We then let things settle in to see how his allergies were before we possibly had to give it back.

I think it's safe to say we're past that waiting period and that we're both in love with the furball of energy who's brought a lot of energy into our lives. As a courtesy to those who would rather not read about another woman going on about her cat, the little guy does have his own separate blog...which has, in its short life, become way more popular than this one.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment