Monday, June 13, 2005

Is This Thing on?


Luciana (Brazil), Jackson (Peru), Marcin (Poland), Standa (Czechoslovakia), & Manuel
(Spain) from German class
Stand-up comedians will tell you that persistence is key when trying to make a career out of comedy; that you have to get through the flop jokes and lame audiences you'll inevitably have before you make your mark. Should I decide to one day take to the stage, my German class has given me ample experience in the aforementioned. Usually three people get my humor, but I err on saying that three out of twenty is a flop.

Quick lesson:
  • I have a desire...
  • I try...
  • I have time...
  • I have planned...
  • I have permission...
  • I am afraid...
  • I will help you...
These are a few of the translated phrases we learned today which require you to use the infinitive form of the verb when you finish the sentence. So naturally when people were asked to give three examples we heard things along the lines of, "I have time to play Basketball," "I try to learn German," and "I have planned to make rice." My flops were:

I have planned to kill my brother.
I am not afraid to die.
I will help you to buy a big knife.

I mean, it was practically German haiku!

No comments:

Post a Comment